I made this beaded initial on a Bead Round Robin block owned by Barbara Blankenship. I have always used the tissue paper transfer method for thread embroidery on any Crazy Quilt block that I have ever done and have always had good luck and decided to try it with beading. The steps are below!
- Step 1: In a Word document try different fonts and sizes until you are happy with the size and the style of the letter you are making. The Font for this “B” on this block is English 157 BT and the font size is 225. Print this out on paper and then trace onto tissue paper with a light box or at a sunny window.
- Step 2: Trim the tissue paper to a workable size including about 1” extra all the way around.
- Step 3: Baste the tissue to the block positioning it in the proper space.
- Step 4: Bead over the tissue paper using a sharp needle and Sylamide beading thread. I used size 11 seed beads in this example, but Delicas would work for smaller initials.
- Step 5: Carefully pull away tissue paper in small pieces. I use tweezers to get the small pieces out from under the beads.
- This is a picture of the completed block showcasing this beaded initial.