1. Trim 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 strips off four of your fancy fabric squares
and set aside for front flap.
2. Choose one fancy fabric. Cut a five sided shape (given) from the
3. Center it, right side up, about 9 up from one short end of the
4. Add a second strip, about 3 X 6 , laying it right sides together
to the first strip, aligning raw edges. Stitch and flip. Continue
adding pieces, right sides together, around the initial shape, working outward.
5. Cover about the upper 18 of the canvas. On the end that has about
6 of canvas still exposed, start adding the set aside strips of your
fancies for the front flap.
6. Snowball squares on the corners of the front flap by cutting 2"
squares of red (or any other fabric). Place the square at one of the
corners over the strips, align the raw edges. Stitch across the diagonal
and flip over, forming a triangle. Repeat on opposite corner.
7. Once your canvas is covered, you can go wild with embellishment.
Just keep in mind you will be trimming the edges to size, so differentiate
the front from the back, where the flap is and where you will be boxing
the bottom. Use your decorative machine stitches and rayon threads to
cover the seams in crazy patch style. Add extra stitching as desired.
Top stitch some ribbons in place and add some appliquιs. When
embellishment is complete, trim to 7 X 22.
8. To construct the purse, fold up the bottom 8 1/2, right sides
together, and stitch
up either side to 1/2 from top. Press the 1/2 to the wrong side. If
desired, add pockets to lining. Stitch the lining in the same way as the
9. Box the bottoms on both the purse and the lining in the SAME way.
10. Turn the lining right side out. Slip the lining inside the purse
so right sides are together. Stitch the two flaps together. Turn the
purse and tuck the lining inside so wrong sides are together.
11. Pin the heavy cording in place on either side of the top of the
purse, adjusting length as desired. Slip Stitch the top edge of purse
closed, catching and reinforcing the cording, stitching in place
12. Embellish the flap with buttons and beads as desired.
Remember embellish, Embellish, EMBELLISH!